- 2019. “Wheat Dreams: Scientific Interventions at Chinese Model Farms in Kham, 1937-49.” In Stephane Gros (ed.), Frontier Tibet: Patterns of Change in the Sino-Tibetan Borderlands. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press.
- 2018. “Hacking the Yak: The Chinese Effort to Improve a Tibetan Animal in the Early Twentieth Century.” East Asian Science, Technology, and Medicine 48.
- 2016. “Planting and Its Discontents: Or How Nomads Produced Spaces of Resistance in China’s Erstwhile Xikang Province.” Resilience: A Journal of the Environmental Humanities 3.
- “Food and Accommodation: Chinese Grain Governance in Eastern Tibet, 1906-1939.”
- “Meteorological Modernity in the Sino-Tibetan Borderlands: The Case of Kangding Weather Station.”
- 2019. Review of Di Wang, Violence and Order on the Chengdu Plain: The Story of a Secret Brotherhood in Rural China, 1939-1949. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, 2018. For The Chinese Historical Review, Vol. 25, No. 2.
- 2018. Review of David Bello, Across Forest, Steppe, and Mountain: Environment, Identity, and Empire in Qing China’s Borderlands. Cambridge University Press, 2016. For Agricultural History, Vol. 92, No. 3.
- 2018. “Lost Province: China’s Xikang, Now Tibet And Sichuan, Is Turning 80. But Few People Realize It Ever Existed.” SupChina, December 26, 2018.
- 2012. “Tea with the Gao Brothers: The Gao Brothers Reflect on the 60th Anniversary of the PRC and the Gentrification of the Factory 798 Art District.” In Majella Munroe (ed.), Modern Art Asia, Issues 1-8: Papers on Modern and Contemporary Asian Art. Enzo Arts and Publishing Limited.
- 2010. “Review: Song of Tibet.”Asia Educational Media Services News and Reviews, Issue 36. Web access: http://www.aems.illinois.edu/publications/filmreviews/songoftibet.html
- 2010. “Review: Summer Pasture.” Asia Educational Media Services News and Reviews, Issue 36. Web access: http://www.aems.illinois.edu/publications/filmreviews/summerpasture.html
- 2010. “Vertiginous Metamorphosis: The Shanghai Expo and China’s Love Affair with the City.” In Modern Art Asia, Issue Four. Click here for a PDF.
- 2010. “Exhibition Review: STAY REAL Forever, Museum of Contemporary Art, Shanghai, 10th June-12th July 2010.” In Modern Art Asia, Issue Four.